Elderly pedestrians often have a rough time of it on slick area roads in the GTA, with four struck down and killed in York Region alone this year. On Halloween, yet another older walker was hit by a car on slippery roads – but survived to tell the tale. Slips and falls can become lethal on the road.
Walking across the road brings its own set of hazards, but many injuries also happen on icy sidewalks and even in stores. Whether it involves the city, a shop owner or homeowner, there is a responsibility to keep any outdoor walkways clear and the pavement bare or at least walkable. In the case of a storeowner, that responsibility extends to inside the store and any areas where the public may go.
It doesn’t help that many areas – especially newer developments – aren’t particularly pedestrian friendly. When you’re walking down a long stretch past a big box mall or housing development – one that’s not directly in front of a building – who’s responsible for keeping the walkways clear?
Older and disabled people have special challenges when it comes to mobility to begin with, so any added hazards like ice, snow or rain, especially in those areas where it’s necessary to walk long distances, can have a big impact. You may be crossing on a green signal or walking in a public area or otherwise in the right, but a slip and fall is not something anyone would like to see happen. Some common sense measures can help.
- Wear lightweight, waterproof boots and other footwear with non-slip soles.
- Check whether any medications you are taking may make you drowsy or otherwise interfere with your sense of balance.
- Have your eyesight checked regularly and if you need glasses, wear them at all times.
- A cane can help with balance and you can equip it with a detachable ice pick.
- Tai chi and yoga can help strengthen core muscles that are key to maintaining balance.
We Can Help
If you slip and fall either outside or inside a business or other public area, it can cause serious and debilitating injuries no matter what your age. If it happens to you, there are two things you need to remember:
- Get prompt medical attention. Even if your injuries or their extent isn’t immediately apparent, they can result in residual conditions like Chronic Pain Syndrome and fibromyalgia which can turn into ongoing problems.
- Get legal advice. It’s the only way you can fully protect your interests and try to get the compensation you need to start on the road to recovery and rehabilitation.
At Petrillo Law, we work on behalf of injured people to get them the compensation they deserve. As experienced slip and fall lawyers, we understand the pain and uncertainty that comes with being injured. We have successfully recovered damages on behalf of hundreds of slip and fall victims throughout Mississauga, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Ontario. And we can help you too.
Get the Legal Representation You Need
Contact us today at (905) 949-9433 to schedule your free complimentary consultation. We look forward to hearing from you. We are located at 2600 Skymark Ave., Unit 1, Suite 201, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 5B2