Earlier this year, the City of Toronto released a new Slips, Trips and Falls Prevention Policy. While the document is obviously designed to apply to its own workers and employment policy, it recognizes that slip and fall hazards can also affect members of the public as they use the city’s facilities and programs.
As such, it’s a comprehensive look at the kinds of measures that should be taking place in order to safeguard the public at any facility – whether it’s city or privately owned. These are the same principles that will apply in virtually any slip and fall lawsuit.
It begins with three basic ideas:
- identifying the factors that contribute to slips, trips and falls
- taking reasonable precautions to prevent introduction of the hazards and to eliminate/reduce these hazards where they are identified
- educating staff will reduce the risks of slips, trips and falls – and here we can also add advising the public of known risks, such as wet floors and work that disrupts the environment
The document goes on to look at the individual responsibilities of management and workers, as well as those who design, manage and maintain facilities. The message is loud and clear: responsibility for safety when it comes to slip and fall issues goes into every level of the process.
Public or Private
Naturally, public facilities and various levels of government have to be vigilant in these areas, and their own legal concerns will be a factor, as well they should be. However, you should also be able to expect the same level of vigilance and attention to public safety no matter where you go.
Slip and fall accidents can have long lasting consequences no matter at what age they occur. They can result in strains, soft tissue injuries and even broken bones, and many are preventable. As slip and fall lawyers we know that these types of injuries can also result in:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Degenerative disc disease
- Chronic back pain
- Spinal stenosis
What You Need to Know About Slip and Fall Injuries
If you have experienced a slip and fall accident, you need to keep two things in mind.
- The first one is to get prompt medical attention.
- The second thing you need to do is to contact a slip and fall lawyer immediately.
Help with your Slip and Fall Claim
At Petrillo law, we work on behalf of injured people to get them the compensation they deserve. As experienced slip and fall lawyers, we understand the pain and uncertainty that comes with being injured. We have successfully recovered damages on behalf of hundreds of slip and fall victims throughout Mississauga, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Ontario. And we can help you too.
Contact us today to learn more.
Leave a Reply