An Ontario resident has been allowed to proceed with a slip and fall claim in Ontario Superior Court even though her injury occurred during a cross border shopping trip in New York State.
The accident occurred at a Home Depot in Watertown, New York, when the woman allegedly tripped over a rug that was bunched up at the entrance of the store. The suit was filed in Ontario, and Home Depot was seeking a stay in the proceedings on the grounds that it is outside the jurisdiction of the Ontario court.
In deciding that the suit should proceed, the following factors came into play:
- The woman lived and worked only in the province of Ontario both before and after the accident
- The damages and losses being sought were all incurred in Ontario
- All medical treatments occurred in Ontario
The facts of the case have yet to be proven and will no doubt come out during the course of the proceedings. It’s an unusual and uniquely Canadian twist in the area of personal injury law.
Our team of lawyers are experts in this area and the specific challenges and issues it presents. We know that in addition to the immediate injuries presented by a slip and fall accident, like broken bones and soft tissue injuries, there can also be residual effects like:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Degenerative disc disease
- Chronic back pain
- Spinal stenosis
What You Need to Remember
A sudden injury from a slip and fall accident is disorienting and painful, but please keep two things in mind:
- Get prompt medical attention. Even if your injuries or their extent isn’t immediately apparent, they can result in residual conditions like Chronic Pain Syndrome and fibromyalgia which can turn into ongoing problems.
- Get legal advice. It’s the only way you can fully protect your interests and try to get the compensation you need to start on the road to recovery and rehabilitation.
At Petrillo law, we work on behalf of injured people to get them the compensation they deserve. As experienced slip and fall lawyers, we understand the pain and uncertainty that comes with being injured. We have successfully recovered damages on behalf of hundreds of slip and fall victims throughout Mississauga, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Ontario. And we can help you too.
Get the Legal Representation You Need
Contact us today at (905) 949-9433 to schedule your free complimentary consultation. We look forward to hearing from you. We are located at 2600 Skymark Ave., Unit 1, Suite 201, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 5B2